Re: aic7899 problems

From: Justin T. Gibbs (gibbs@scsiguy.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 09:58:28 EST

>Hello,
>
>the error message is like this:
>
>scsi0:0:3:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message
>scsi0:0:3:0: Cmd aborted from QINFIFO
>aic7xxx_abort returns 8194
>
>lots of these messages. the same happens on scsi0:0:4:0, scsi0:0:5:0 and
>scsi0:0:9:0, then I get ext2 and I/O errors. I have 4 of these machines
>(ibm netfinity 5100), running for several weeks now as http proxies, and
>sometimes they crash (3 from 4 have crashed so far at least once, this is
>the first time I have logs from the beginning of the crash). The kernel is
>stock 2.4.7. On another machine (netfinity 7100, aic7896) I couldn't boot
>stock 2.4.9 because I got these messages right after the boot, the old aic
>driver worked though. I'm puzzled because the 5100's worked perfectly for
>almost a month. What should I try?

Please boot a 2.4.9 system with "aic7xxx=verbose" in your lilo.conf
(aic7xxx driver statically linked into your kernel", or:

options aic7xxx aic7xxx=`"verbose"'

in your modules.conf (you'll have to recreate the initrd for it
to take effect) if you are loading a module. Use a serial console
to capture all messages from the start of boot through several
reported errors, and send it to me.

--
Justin