Re: Status of the VIA KT133a and 2.4.x debacle?

From: Nicholas Knight (tegeran@home.com)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 12:11:14 EST

On Saturday 01 September 2001 07:19 am, Simen Thoresen wrote:
> Alan, list, et all,
>
> I've picked up a KT133a board (EpoX 8KTA/3) and a 1.2GHz Thunderbird
> processor (133MHz FSB), and have seen the same problems that have been
> reported previously with the KT133a. Random oops'es, both fatal and non
> fatal, when running the system on a 2.4 kernel with CONFIG_MK7.
>
> The bord seems rock solid with 2.2.x kernels, and also with 2.4.x
> kernels with CONFIG_M686 set for basic i686 + MMX. I've also run the
> board with a 100MHz FSB, but that has not improved anything. Also
> turning off /some/ optimizations in bios have not helped.

Just out of curiosity, can you drop that to 100Mhz FSB and a multiplier
of 8? I don't know about the manual clocking support on EpoX boards, but
if you can, it might be good to give it a shot. Most likely it has
nothing to do with clock speed whatsoever, but I'm really beginning to
wonder. I don't think I've seen a single reported case under 900-1000Mhz,
and thunderbirds were made below 900Mhz.

(reason I chose 800MHz is my non-tbird Athlon is 800 and is rock solid)