Re: 2.4.10-pre3 - bug report

From: arjan@fenrus.demon.nl
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 04:21:42 EST

In article <200109020348.f823mCs01183@penguin.transmeta.com> you wrote:
> These are bounce buffer allocations - they do fail, but the failures
> should be temporary and the machine should make progress.

The patch I sent to linux-mm a week ago fixes this for "normal" loads.
It obviously doesn't fix the worst case scenario, but in the testing in the
Red Hat lab we've seen it 1) improve performance and 2) get rid of VM
problems caused by highmem; under normal load. Under the insane load we also
put our kernels on, it doesn't make much difference, the obvious deadlock is
still there.

Greetings,
    Arjan van de Ven