Re: Memory Problem in 2.4.10-pre2 / __alloc_pages failed

From: Alex Bligh - linux-kernel (linux-kernel@alex.org.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 08:48:39 EST

> Or/and we could remove the sources of higher order allocs, as an example:
> why is the SCSI layer allowed to allocate order 3 allocs (32 kB) several
> times per second? Will we really get a performance hit by not allowing
> higher order allocs in active driver code?

Or put them in some slab like code, the slab for which gets allocated
early on when memory is not fragmented, and (nearly) never gets released.
Most of the stuff that actually NEEDS atomic allocation (as opposed
to some of the requirements that are bogus) are for packets / data
in flight. There is probably a finite amount of this at any given time.

--
Alex Bligh