Re: Status of the VIA KT133a and 2.4.x debacle?

From: Patrick Chase (pchase2@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Sep 02 2001 - 23:58:21 EST

Gerbrand van der Zouw wrote:
> I have a MSI K7T Turbo board with Athlon 1.2 GHz. Recently I
> upgraded my Award Bios from 2.7 to 2.9. This new version has
> "memory bank interleaving". It also improves the stability of
> my system a lot. I do not know if these are related, but is
> may be a hint for some of the experts out there.

Are you enabling or disabling bank interleaving with the new BIOS?

I would say that given the nature of the prefetch optimizations
which appear to be causing instabilities, problems related to
SDRAM bank interleaving of lack thereof should be near the top
of any list of suspects.

Very briefly, SDRAM parts have multiple banks (either 2 or 4
depending on capacity). Bank select lines are used to control
which bank is active for a given access cycle. The existence
of the banks is significant for two reasons:

1. Each bank can have a separate page (~= row address)
open. If you're alternating accesses between two separate address
ranges, then performance may be higher if they're in separate
banks, as this could potentially avoid a lot of page openings.

2. Unselected banks can process previously issued multi-
cycle commands while the selected bank is returning data. For
example, you could request a new address from one bank, and
then transfer previously requested data from another bank during
the first bank's CAS latency.

The "native" address layout of SDRAM devices has each bank a
contiguous region (i.e. no interleave). An SDRAM controller may
instead cause the banks to appear interleaved to the processor
by simply remapping a few address bits. The "interleave" option
in your BIOS enables exactly such a remapping in the north
bridge's SDRAM controller.

Here's why the Athlon prefetch optimization could potentially
interact with the interleave setting: The entire point of
prefetching is to cause consecutive cache lines to be fetched
with as much overlap as possible (i.e. the next line is
requested before the current one has been read in). When
this is done with interleave enabled, the result is consecutive
accesses to alternating pages, in which case the chipset will
be able to exploit overlap as described in (2) above to hide
latencies. I can come up with rationales for why this could either
cause instability or help it, though I think I'll leave that to
those who knows more than I.

-- Patrick Chase