Re: 1.5 GB ram on system - only 900 MB shows

From: Dan Kegel (dank@kegel.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 12:42:28 EST

natestone@hotmail.com (Nate Stone) wrote:
> > > We were able to address 1024 MB of ram on our previous machine using
> > > the append feature during boot up, but it doesn't seem to work any
> > > more. Is this a problem related to the new memory management system
> > > in kernel 2.4.xx? Any solutions?
> >
> > I think you must recompile your kernel with >1GB support. ...
>
> Actually, we already built the kernel with 4GB support enabled and the
> ram was still not recognized. We get the same exact problem.
>
> ... try running
> 40+million pageviews per month off a crippled server because you can't
> access all the ram and the shared memory utilization sucks in kernel
> 2.4.xx. Talk about nightmares.
>
> We probably will switch back to kernel 2.2.16 (which worked with 1GB
> of ram) and seemed way more efficient at memory management unless
> someone offers an alternative.

Going back to 2.2.x is probably a good idea for the moment, but
it's a bit suprising that the RAM isn't showing up in 2.4.
Is it possible you didn't boot with the kernel you thought you did?

I'm cc'ing this to linux-kernel, as this isn't really redhat specific,
and the people there may have suggestions for you.
- Dan

--
"I have seen the future, and it licks itself clean." -- Bucky Katt