Re: Multiple monitors

From: Ghozlane Toumi (gtoumi@messel.emse.fr)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 02:56:01 EST

"Simon Hay" Said:

> Apologies in advance if this is a question that's already been answered
> somewhere... I'm looking for a way to install multiple (or rather, two)
> PCI/AGP cards in a machine and connect a monitor to each one, and use
> them both *in console mode* -

this already exist in the current kernels, as long as you use video boards
that can be initialised independently
from the bios .
the 1st head can be whatever you want, but the next heads have to be
carefully chosen (matrox boards comes to mind)

then disable software scrollback as there are issues with multihead .
(append="video:scrollback:0")

> preferably with some nice way to say
> 'assign virtual console 2 to the first screen, and 5 to the second' -
> that way you could have one tailing log files, showing 'top', whatever.

this is "con2fb":

to assign 2nd Virtual console to 2nd head :
con2fb /dev/fb1 /dev/tty2

ghoz