Some experiences with the Athlon optimisation problem

From: Heinz Deinhart (heinz@auto.tuwien.ac.at)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 04:02:01 EST

Hi,

i might have found some interesting informations regarding the Athlon
optimisation problems. I have two different Athlon versions, the
older one seems to work very table, the newer one crashes always
during system startup. Both chips where running in exactly the same
machine. (the older one is a 1.133Ghz the newer one a 1.2Ghz.)

I tried 2.4.9, 2.4.9-ac6 and 2.4.3, not difference. The system is a
MSI-K7A Turbo with KT133A from VIA, 256MB PC133 RAM. I have 8 of the
new ones, and all of them do not work.

Because the same system is stable with one kind of Athlons and does
not work with the other, couldn't this mean those Athlons are buggy ?

Of course all troubles vanish when i turn off Athlon optimisation. But
this probably doesnt kill the problem.

The old Athlon reads:
        A1133AMS3C
        AVIA 0115TPAW