Re: Should I use Linux to develop driver for specialized ISA card?

From: Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 10:40:48 EST

Fred, I'd check out the faq on rtlinux...

           "Worst-case times are
           about 15microseconds between the assertion of an interrupt
           and the starting of the realtime handler on a generic x86
           PC"

there where patches in the 2.2 era (some kind of midi related flamefest
occured at that time) that would take the average in a 2.2 kenel down to
25Us but the worst case was still fairly large...

what a rtos buys is not generally performance but a much higher
level determinism than what we can arrive at.

joelja

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Fred wrote:

> I'm curious, Alan, Why? I'm a hardware developer, and I would have assumed
> that linux would have been ideal for real time / embedded projects? (routers
> / controllers / etc.) Is there, for instance, a reason to suspect that linux
> would not be able to respond to interrupts at say 8Khz?
> of course I know nothing of rtlinux so I'll read.
>
> TIA
> Fred

> On Tuesday 04 September 2001 10:15 am, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > The moving parts of the plotter are controlled by ISA card that generates
> > > (and responds to) interrupts on each movement or printing event.
> > > The interrupts can be generated quite fast; up to frequency of 4kHz.
> >
> > Thats fine. The issue you might need to consider is how long you can wait
> > between an irq and actually excuting the handler. If that is very tight
> > then you may want Victor Yodaiken's rtlinux
> > -
> -

Joel Jaeggli				       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services			     consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.