Re: page_launder() on 2.4.9/10 issue

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 11:27:50 EST

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Jan Harkes wrote:

> NO, please don't add another list to fix the symptoms of bad page aging.
>
> One of the graduate students here at CMU has been looking at the 2.4 VM,
> trying to predict the size of the app that can possibly be loaded
> without causing the system to start trashing.

        [snip results]

> Aging is broken. Horribly. As a result, the inactive list is filled with
> pages that are not necessarily inactive.

I've been working on a CPU and memory efficient reverse
mapping patch for Linux, one which will allow us to do
a bunch of optimisations for later on (infrastructure)
and has as its short-term benefit the potential for
better page aging.

It seems the balancing FreeBSD does (up aging +3, down
aging -1, inactive list in LRU order as extra stage) is
working nicely on my laptop now, but I don't think I'll
be releasing that as part of the patch ...

        http://www.surriel.com/patches/2.4/2.4.8-ac12-pmap3

regards,

Rik

--