Re: Sound Blaster Live - OSS or Not?

From: Thiago Vinhas de Moraes (thiago@vinhas.com.br)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 12:08:03 EST

Em Ter, 04 de Set de 2001 09:09, rui.p.m.sousa@clix.pt escreveu:
> On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Thiago Vinhas de Moraes wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a Sound Blaster Live! PCI that works pretty fine for me.
> >
> > I tried to run loki's Quake 3 Arena for Linux, and after several tries, I
> > started to read the README file,
>
> Some persons are reporting problems with Q3 (which mmap's /dev/dsp)
> and the latest emu10k1 driver. Others (like me) don't see any problems.
> Under investigation.
>
> What Q3 version are you using?
> Can you send me a strace of the Q3 startup?
>
> > and it said that Sound Blaster Live does not
> > work as OSS.
>
> The driver definetely follows the OSS specification. If a problem was
> found at Loki then it would be nice to have a detailed bug report...

The strace log is attached to this message.
I really don't know how to make this work properly, since the only way I got
Q3 to work with my SBLive was using the commercial OSS from opensound.com.
The OSS/Free and the Alsa Project just give me the same output:

----- finished R_Init -----

------- sound initialization -------