Re: page_launder() on 2.4.9/10 issue

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 13:49:47 EST

> Now for the past _9_ stable kernel releases, page aging hasn't worked
> at all!! Nobody seems to even have bothered to check. I send in a patch
> and you basically answer with "Ohh, but we know about that one. Just
> apply patch wizzbangfoo#105 which basically does everything differently".

Maybe you should take issue with the people applying random patches, missing
important ones and mixing and matching incompatible ideas in the main tree ?

The VM tuning in the -ac tree is a lot more reliable for most loads (its
certainly not perfect) and that is because the changes have been done and
tested one at a time as they are merged. Real engineering process is the
only way to get this sort of thing working well.

Alan