Re: aic7xxx errors

From: Frank Schneider (SPATZ1@t-online.de)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 08:05:29 EST

Thorsten Kranzkowski schrieb:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:44:24PM +0200, Frank Schneider wrote:
> > Antonio Miguel Trindade schrieb:

> > > According to IBM specs, _no LVD drive has terminators built-in_... I have
>
> There are definitely some that have this SE-Termination jumper.

Yes...i can send you one if you send me a spare-drive instead...:-))

> > But as said, my DGHS-Disk has a build-in terminator for use with
> > UW-buses...the bad thing is, that if you "terminate" the LVD-bus with
> > this, it seems to work...for some time...i had "/" on it and a part of
> > my /home-RAID5, and it run 2 weeks....
>
> Usually when a single device in a LVD chain is operated in SE mode all LVD
> devices also switch to SE mode automatically. The use of a SE terminator
> such as the one on your harddisk qualifies for SE operation.

Thats exactly what i expected, but that did not happen...i tried this
one time by setting the "SE"-Jumper on *all* devices *and* connecting
them to the UW-cable (i use a Asus P2B-DS-Mobo with 3 connectors,
Fast-SCSI, UW-SCSI, LVD-SCSI)..their it worked in the described way, but
on the LVD-cable not even the SCSI-Bios at bootup mentioned the
problem...all devices were "LVD-SCSI" rated, and not "SE/FastSCSI" at
bootup...and /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0 also said something about "80MByte/sec
synchronous speed..."

It seems that in this particular case you don`t get any hint where the
problem lies...neither from the bios nor from the driver...i noticed it
when i changed the LVD-cable and took a closer look on the disks...and
then in the specs on www.storage.ibm.com....

> But in SE mode you are tied to the much stricter specifications like length
> of cable etc. compared to LVD mode.

Thats clear...max. cablelength is 1,50m (if more than 4 devices are
connected), all together, incl. Fast-SCSI-cable or external cables, if
used...

> So maybe you just exceeded specifications too much.

I did this also one time (6 Devices-2m cablelength) and it showed indeed
the same problems...randomly appearing crashes on the scsi-bus,
sometimes revoverable, sometimes not, sometimes under heavy disk-load,
sometimes without...

Solong..
Frank.

--