Re: page_launder() on 2.4.9/10 issue

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 06:21:24 EST

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Jan Harkes wrote:

> The pte_chain allocation stuff looks a bit scary, where did you want
> to reclaim them from when memory runs out, unmap existing pte's?

Exactly. This is the strategy also used by BSD and it seems to
work really well.

> One thing that might be nice, and showed a lot of promise here is to
> either age down by subtracting instead of dividing to make it less
> aggressive. It is already hard enough for pages to get referenced
> enough to move up the scale.

Oh definately, I've tried it with linear page aging and it works
a lot better. I'm just not including that in my patch right now
because I don't want to mix policy and mechanism right now and I
want to really get the mechanism right before moving on to other
stuff.

> Or use a similar approach as I have in my patch, age up periodically,
> but only age down when there is memory shortage,

Where can I get your patch ?

regards,

Rik

--