Re: Basic reiserfs question

From: Mack Stevenson (mackstevenson@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 08:00:48 EST

>Mack Stevenson wrote:
> >
> > I would like to know whether log replays take place whenever the system
>is
> > booted or only after it has been incorrectly shutdown. I occasionaly see
> > "Warning, log replay (...)" during the boot-up sequence although the
>system
> > had been correctly shut down, and I would like to know if I should
>worry.

>From: Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com>
>To: Mack Stevenson <mackstevenson@hotmail.com>
>CC: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
>Subject: Re: Basic reiserfs question
>Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 01:50:59 +0400
>

>Are you using redhat? Do your shutdown scripts unmount the filesystem only
>if
>it is ext2?

I am using slackware (8.0), and the shutdown script on my system uses:

# Turn off swap, then unmount local file systems.
echo "Turning off swap."
swapoff -a
echo "Unmounting local file systems."
# Don't remount UMSDOS root volumes:
if [ ! "`mount | head -1 | cut -d ' ' -f 5`" = "umsdos" ]; then
  umount -a -r -t nonfs
  echo "Remounting root filesystem read-only."
  mount -n -o remount,ro /
else
  umount -a -r -t nonfs,noumsdos,nosmbfs
fi

# This never hurts:
sync

---

I guess that's not the probem, then... Actually, whenever I shutdown I never see any messages about the unmounting (or the mounting in readonly mode) failing, which only adds to my confusion.

>From: Samium Gromoff <_deepfire@mail.ru> >To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org >CC: mackstevenson@hotmail.com >Subject: Re: Basic reiserfs question >Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 03:35:49 +0000 (UTC) > >Actually you see "Warning" only when it is replaying log on >fs mounted readonly.

Yes, that's the warning I see.

>I wander though why you see it only "occasionally".. >Normally it replays log every time and you shouldnt bother.

Does it? I know next to nothing about these issues, but I thought that I had read somewhere that log replays only occurred after a system crashed and couldn't be shutdown properly.

Thank you both,

Mack S.