Re: PNPBIOS: warning: >= 16 resources, overflow?

From: Gerd Knorr (kraxel@bytesex.org)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 08:04:51 EST

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 01:07:38PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > lspnp (comes with pcmcia-cs) would be more intresting. The pnpbios code
> > fills a "struct pci_dev" for each device reported by the pnpbios, and it
> > looks like your portable has one device with alot ressources, so the
> > ressources array in struct pci_dev can't hold them all. There is a
> > #define in include/linux/pci.h for the array size ...
>
> For the motherboard memory/io ranges it might be worth teaching the
> pnp bios parser to actually reserve the regions as it scans them ?

No trivial way. Need to read some more code to see how the parser
works and if the data structures are build in a way that I have the
informations I need at any point to do that "on-the-fly" in the
pnp bios node => struct pci_dev parser.

BTW: There is another issue I've noticed on my Desktop box, where I'm
not sure what the best way to deal with: Some pnpbios-reported I/O
ranges clash with stuff reserved by pci quirks:

This we have in PCI space (good old Intel BX):

bogomips root ~# lspci -v -s 00:04.3
00:04.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9

drivers/pci/quirks.c reserves this for the ACPI bridge:

bogomips root ~# cat /proc/ioports
[ ... ]
e400-e43f : Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI
e800-e81f : Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI

pnpbios lists the ACPI ports too:

bogomips root ~# lspnp -v
[ ... ]
0f PNP0c02 system peripheral: other
        io 0x0290-0x0297
        io 0xe400-0xe43f
        io 0xe800-0xe83f

Hmm...

  Gerd

--
Damn lot people confuse usability and eye-candy.