Re: K7/Athlon optimizations and Sacrifices to the Great Ones.

From: David Hollister (david@digitalaudioresources.org)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 18:24:00 EST

Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
>
>>>At this point, I'd like to sacrifice a Red Hat Linux 6.2 CD to Alan Cox.
>>>I would also like to sacrifice Minix 1.3(?) installation diskettes to
>>>Linus Torvalds.
>>>I perform these sacrifices in the hope that enlightenment comes to me.
>>>
>>A deep booming voice says "I have no idea either"
>>

> We need a good tester (floppy-bootable k7-killer, something along the
> lines of memtest86) and many more data points.
>
> Anyone yet verified if burnMMX2 causes the same failures the
> athlon-optimized kernel does?
>
> -Dan

MMX2 does not cause any problems for me. Robert (the guy who wrote these) has
provided me with two more versions that mimic the Athlon optimized
fast_page_copy and fast_page_clear functions in mmx.c. They aren't exact
copies, but are close. One fails for me consistently, the other does not. The
one that fails consistently is the one that mimics the fast_page_copy code. I'm
still trying to provide him more datapoints about the failures to see if we can
uncover anything.

--
David Hollister
Driversoft Engineering:  http://devicedrivers.com