Re: replaying reiserfs journal and bad blocks (was: Re[3]: Basic reiserfs question)

From: Hans Reiser (reiser@namesys.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 02:54:18 EST

Nerijus Baliunas wrote:

> NB> If you think it's RedHat, you probably are wrong - I use RH with reiserfs
> NB> a long time (more than a year - 6.2, now 7.1), and never got a message about
> NB> replaying journal if system was shut down correctly.
>
> After just written that, I got a real problem. There was a power loss a few minutes ago,
> and I think when hdd was active. Trying to boot 2.4.7 kernel I got a message about
> replaying journal, then hdd error:
>
> hdd: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdd: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=84415, sector=36216
>
> and kernel panic. Please note that I mount root read-write with this kernel.
>
> Then I rebooted 2.2.19 kernel (which mounts root as read-only if that matters):
>
> Checking ReiserFS transaction log (device 16:42) ...
> Warning, log recovery starting on readonly filesystem
> hdd: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdd: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=84415, sector=36216
> end_request: I/O error, dev 16:42 (hdd), sector 36216
> Replayed 33 transactions in 6 seconds
> Using r5 hash to sort names
> ReiserFS version 3.5.32
> VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
>
> and system booted normally.
> Now I rebooted back to 2.4.7 and everything seems to be OK.
> So what to do now? Run badblocks? Change disk? Any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
> Nerijus
My guess is turn off UDMA, I think we have a www.namesys.com/faq.html entry on
that which you can read and see if my memory of the typical symptoms of flaky
udma are correct. Commenting on the cause of flaky udma I will leave to others
familiar with your mob's interaction with Linux, except to say that one should
always check cables at a time like this.

Hans