Re: 2.4.8 NFS Problems

From: Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 05:53:27 EST

> The file is being copied from yeti to picard. Last packet seen
> is picard telling yeti "OK" after the commit. If soft timeouts
> were occurring shouldn't we be seeing packets from yeti again
> with no response from picard?

You are assuming that the last packet seen is the one that corresponds
to your read. In doing so, you are neglecting the fact that these are
asynchronous reads, and that file readahead can muddle the waters for
you.

Look, this is getting us nowhere. The bottom line is: if you are able
to reproduce the EIO on hard mounts it is a bug, and I'll be happy to
help you trace it. If it is occuring only on soft mounts, it is user
error...

Cheers,
  Trond