Plaguing ATAPI Tape drive errors in kernel 2.4.x

From: Mark Bratcher (mbratche@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 19:46:40 EST

Hello,

I have been using a Seagate ST20000A (10GB/20GB) ATAPI tape drive since kernel
2.2.x.

This tape drive worked flawlessly as an IDE tape drive in kernel 2.2.x (up to
2.2.18).

When I upgraded to kernel 2.4.4, it failed as an IDE tape drive. It was
recommended to me that I use SCSI emulation to "fix" the problem. I did this and
although I got profuse SCSI errors on the console during tape operations, the
operations seemed to work anyway (perhaps the errors were non-fatal). I had
posted these errors with no replies or suggestions.

Now as I try kernel 2.4.9, nothing works. SCSI emulation no longer works. I get
a failure as soon as it attempts to write the tape. I have had to go back to
2.4.4 as a result. I did not attempt to go back and try IDE again on 2.4.9.

I scanned the mailing list archive and found one other person who seems to have
the same problem, but no solutions have been posted. Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Mark Bratcher