Re: Feedback on preemptible kernel patch

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 16:37:53 EST

On Sun, 2001-09-09 at 17:23, Arjan Filius wrote:
> After my succes report i _do_ noticed something unusual:
>
> I'm not sure it's preempt related, but you wanted feedback :)
>
> Sep 9 23:08:02 sjoerd kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x70/1).
> Sep 9 23:08:02 sjoerd last message repeated 93 times
> Sep 9 23:08:02 sjoerd kernel: cation failed (gfp=0x70/1).
> Sep 9 23:08:02 sjoerd kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x70/1).
> Sep 9 23:08:02 sjoerd last message repeated 281 times
>
> This is at the very moment i make a ppp connection to internet, and
> get/set the time with netdate (for the first time after a reboot).
> I didn't see this a second time (yet).

damn, I was exciting we had solved everything :)

actually, I am not confident of what could cause these results. the
2.4.10-pre is going through another set of changes it should not, and
one of them concerns exactly what you are reporting.

SO, I suggest two options: try pre6. I don't have patches yet, but I
will diff them soon. pre5 should apply fairly cleanly, anyhow.

Even better, try 2.4.9-ac10. It is what I use, and there seems to be
less reported problems. Plus, Alan is not messing with all the VM work
Linus is playing with right now. Patches for 2.4.9-ac10 are available.

Both can be had at:
http://tech9.net/rml/linux/

I am curious if you see the error again, and what seems to cause it, but
honestly there is too much work being done in 2.4.10-pre to figure
things out.

Nevertheless, I will look into it -- keep me posted.

--
Robert M. Love
rml at ufl.edu
rml at tech9.net