Re: linux-2.4.10-pre5

From: Simon Kirby (sim@netnation.com)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 19:39:47 EST

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 01:18:57PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> The main reason people seems to still justify use dump/restore is --
> believe it or not -- the inability to set atime. One would think this
> would be a trivial extension to the VFS, even if protected by a
> capability (CAP_BACKUP?).

What do people actually use atime for, anyway? I've always
noatime/nodiratime'd most servers I've set up because it saves so much
disk I/O, and I have yet to see anything really use it. I can see that
in some cases it would be useful to turn it _on_ (perhaps for debugging /
removal of unused files, etc.), but it seems silly that the default case
is a situation which on the surface seems dumb (opening a file for read
causes a disk write).

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communications Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]