Re: COW fs (Re: Editing-in-place of a large file)

From: Ragnar Kjørstad (kernel@ragnark.vestdata.no)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 01:45:26 EST

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 02:29:11AM +0100, John Ripley wrote:
> My thinking was that I've managed to run out of space on all of the
> partitions in the past and had to prune a lot of stuff... so nearly all
> the blocks should contain at least some "likely" data. Still, I guess I
> need to verify that this isn't distorting the results. The program needs
> to recurse over all files on the filesystem rather than all blocks on a
> partition.

You can find a program that does that at:
http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~ragnarkj/download/duplicates.tgz

And results from running on a few different filesystem-types (webpages,
users home directories, softwareand so on) were posted to reiserfs-list
long time ago - look in the archives if you're curious.

--
Ragnar Kjørstad
Big Storage