Re: New SCSI subsystem in 2.4, and scsi idle patch

From: idalton@ferret.dyndns.org
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 11:33:26 EST

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 10:10:11AM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > > I'm trying to get my 2.4.9 system to spin down my scsi disk(s) when idle.
>
> remember: normal desktop drives have an expected life of only O(50k)
> spin up/down cycles. that's twice an hour for a three year warranty...
>
> regards, mark hahn.

Noflushd can be useful in this case, though it needs a patch to
include/linux/kernel_stat.h in order to work with more than one
IDE disk. More information is at <http://noflushd.sourceforge.net>

Granted, heavy-use servers probably do not want to spin down so much,
though light-use servers could, with an high idle timeout.

--
Ferret

I will be switching my email addresses from @ferret.dyndns.org to @mail.aom.geek on or after September 1, 2001, but not until after Debian's servers include support. 'geek' is an OpenNIC TLD. See http://www.opennic.unrated.net for details about adding OpenNIC support to your computer, or ask your provider to add support to their name servers.