Re: Developing code for ia64

From: Alex Bligh - linux-kernel (linux-kernel@alex.org.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 12:49:37 EST

>> Our product contains a pre-compiled core object (IP protection :-\ )
>
> In that case, be prepared to take the burden for all
> linux kernel support from your users, since we'll just
> send them your way.
>
> Your email address has been saved, bug reporters about
> any intel binary only driver will be told to ask you.

Before you all jump so far down his throat you hit his
arse, he did say "Our product contains a pre-compiled
core object". He did not say that this was a kernel module,
or any other part of the kernel.

His question was whether you could bundle IA-64 and IA-32
code together in a single binary file (as far as I could
tell), which while probably off topic here, probably
does not require application of cattle prod at such a
voltage. Whilst binary modules are contentious, esp.
w.r.t. support, I have found noone yet (famous last
words) who has credibly suggested that distributing or
running binary-only applications on a GPL'd *OS* (libraries
being a separate issue) is against either the spirit or
the letter of the OS license. And as such of course
the reports of application bugs should not be on lkml.

--
Alex Bligh