Re: Duron kernel crash (i686 works)

From: Roberto Jung Drebes (drebes@inf.ufrgs.br)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 22:30:43 EST

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Roberto Jung Drebes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today I updated the BIOS of my motherboard, a ABIT KT7A (VIA Apollo KT133A
> chipset). The kernel I had (2.4.9) started crashing on boot with an
> invalid page fault, usually right after starting init. I tryed a i686
> kernel and noticed it works OK, so I recompiled my crashy kernel only
> switching the processor type and it also worked. changed it back to
> Athlon/K7/Duron and it starts crashing.
>
> Anyone else experiencing this?

I captured the log via serial console, and the problem does not always
happens at exactly the same time. The time I did the log, it happened
right after init would mount /proc. So I passes init=/bin/sh to the kernel
and initted "manually". At first things seemed to be OK. I then mounted
/proc, no probs, swapon -a, ok, then started just playing around with ls,
etc. Soon the loader would complain that there was no memory to be alloced
to run the programs. After a while, the kernel would complain about trying
to free a page that was not malloced or something like that. It seems to
be related to the VM subsys.

Anyway here is the trace done on the captured log.

Latter, I found on the archives that some people solved instability
problems on the KT133A by disabling the 3DNOW. I changed it to n in
arch/i386/config.in, but it seems to have no effect.

TIA,

--
Roberto Jung Drebes <drebes@inf.ufrgs.br>
Porto Alegre, RS - Brasil