Re: Deadlock on the mm->mmap_sem

From: Manfred Spraul (manfred@colorfullife.com)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 04:37:55 EST

> > IMHO modifying proc_pid_read_maps() is far simpler - I'm not aware
of
> > another recursive mmap_sem user.
>
> if that's the very only place that could be a viable option but OTOH I
> like to be allowed to use recursion on the read locks as with the
> spinlocks.

But shouldn't that change wait until 2.5? Especially since another huge
mm change was just merged?
proc_pid_read_maps contains further bugs - afaics it it could skip lines
if PAGE_SIZE > 4096 and a file path is nearly 4096 bytes long.
I'll post a patch to proc_pid_read_maps - modifying the rw semaphore
behaviour just asks for trouble.

--
    Manfred