Re: Reading Windows CD on Linux 2.4.6

From: Wojtek Pilorz (wpilorz@bdk.pl)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 06:04:43 EST

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Bruce Blinn wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:28:42 -0700
> From: Bruce Blinn <blinn@MissionCriticalLinux.com>
> To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> Cc: root@chaos.analogic.com,
> Masoud Sharbiani <masu@cr213096-a.rchrd1.on.wave.home.com>,
> linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: Reading Windows CD on Linux 2.4.6
>
> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > > Here are the results of the methods that were suggested for producing a
> > > CD image. They all seem to fail at the same place because the resulting
> > > file is the same size.
> > >
> > > # dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/cd1.iso
> > > dd: /dev/cdrom: Input/output error
> > > 1440+0 records in
> > > 1440+0 records out
> >
> > Bad CD image - or that is all the data on it. If its bad blocks you can tell
> > dd to continue past bad blocks and pad them with zero - handy for rescueing
> > uncompressed tape backups
>
> I do not think the disk is missing data or that there are any bad
> blocks. The reason I say this is because I can access every file on the
> disk when the CD is mounted as an iso9660 file system on a 2.2.19
> kernel. I compared the files with the originals and they are identical.
Maybe it is not a single session disk?

Could you try
cdrecord -toc dev=x,y
where x,y are numbers returned for your SCSI (either native or emulated)
device by
 cdrecord -scanbus

I have never played with multisession disks so far, but I don't think dd
could read anything more than the first track ...

> The only reason I found out dd would not copy the disk is because Masoud
> asked for an image.
> I tried using dd to copy a much larger CD (150 Mb) and it fails at the
> same place and the resulting file is the same size (737280 bytes). So
> it fails long before the end of the data.
This would again make me suspect Win software does not produce
single-session disks ...

> By the way, dd works fine when copying other CDs that were not created
> under Windows.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

Best regards,