Re: /proc/partitions hosed in 2.4.9-ac10

From: Bob McElrath (mcelrath@draal.physics.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 10:50:49 EST

Hubert Mantel [mantel@suse.de] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 17, Colonel wrote:
>
> > >$ cat /proc/partitions
>
> [...]
>
> > Works fine here:
>
> [...]
>
> > SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> > sym53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 9, function 0
> > sym53c8xx: setting PCI_COMMAND_PARITY...(fix-up)
> > sym53c8xx: 53c875 detected with Symbios NVRAM
> > sym53c8xx: at PCI bus 0, device 9, function 1
> >

> > Perhaps it is a driver effect?
>
> You only have one single SCSI adapter?
>
> I tried several things so far, and it seems you need the following to
> trigger the problem: You need at least two SCSI adapters that require
> different drivers (so two AHA2940s are not sufficient) and the drivers
> need to be loaded as modules.

I have a BusLogic BT-958 (compiled in), pas16 (module), and usb-storage
(module).

The problem shows up with only the BusLogic scsi device, and the other
modules not loaded. (And it also shows up with 2 or more scsi drivers
loaded) Note that on this machine the pas16 and usb-storage modules
*were* installed, I removed them, and /proc/partitions still looped. (I
can't readily reboot ATM)

Hope this helps,
-- Bob

Bob McElrath (rsmcelrath@students.wisc.edu)
Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison, Department of Physics