2.4.10-pre12 (SMP) + preempt + ext3

From: Forsz 98 Kft. (forsz@externet.hu)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 08:04:12 EST

Hi!

I just wanted to let everyone know that the above combination nicely works.
I applied the sysrq.c/nmi.c fix posted by Keith Owen, the preempt patch
and the ext3-2.4-0.9.9-2410p4 patch.

The last one produced rejects in 5 files. All of them was obvious to fix
by hand
except the one in vmscan.c which I ignored completely. This patch can be
found at:

ftp://ftp.externet.hu/pub/people/zboszor/ext3-2.4-0.9.9-2410p12.gz

This combination works for 5 hours now.

I did not do a very scientific test but this is what I tried:
on a 2way PIII/500 384MB memory machine, running the
latest Ximian GNOME-1.4 on RH6.2. The kernel is compiled with
egcs-1.1.2, since I do not have anything newer on this machine yet.

In one gnome-terminal I run "dd if=/dev=hda of=/dev/null".
In another, I run a kernel compilation: "make dep clean ; make -j5
bzImage modules".
In the meantime, I am browsing with Mozilla-0.9.3 from the above mentioned
GNOME release. The Mozilla startup time almost halved. (It is an impression,
not a timed fact, though.) I even tried a vmware-2.0.4 session, it works
with
the last vmware patch for linux-2.4.9.

It seems that 2.4.10 will be the Holy Grail. :-)

Regards,
Zoltan Boszormenyi