Re: 2.4.9-ac12 - problem mounting reiserfs (parse error?)

From: Wayne Whitney (whitney@math.berkeley.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 15:14:30 EST

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> Could you run gdb on your mount and show us what *data contains at
> this point (last parameter). According to man(8) "defaults" expands
> to "rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async".

Hmm, I'm not versant with gdb (strace is the extent of my sophistication),
so I'll try your suggestion below.

> You could also try putting all of these in /etc/fstab explicitly and
> remove them one at a time until we find which one it is complaining
> about. Either mount(8) shouldn't be appending this option to the
> mount data, or reiserfs needs to parse it in the kernel.

It seems that the reiserfs option parsing in 2.4.9-ac12 is foobar, as any
one of "rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async" in the options field in
/etc/fstab causes the mount to fail. Also, mounting an r5-hashed reiserfs
file system with the option string "hash=r5" gives this fine error:

REISERFS: Error, r5 hash detected, unable to force r5 hash

I can confirm that the following option strings give a successful mount:
"conv", "hashed_relocation", "notail". I didn't feel like going through
all the options possible.

Is everybody seeing this, or is specific to something about my setup, e.g.
gcc version 3.0.2 20010905 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 3.0.1-3)? I'll try
recompiling with gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-97.1)
to check that.

Cheers, Wayne