RE: broken VM in 2.4.10-pre9

From: Rob Fuller (rfuller@nsisoftware.com)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 17:15:21 EST

In my one contribution to this thread I wrote:

"One argument for reverse mappings is distributed shared memory or
distributed file systems and their interaction with memory mapped files.
For example, a distributed file system may need to invalidate a specific
page of a file that may be mapped multiple times on a node."

I believe reverse mappings are an essential feature for memory mapped
files in order for Linux to support sophisticated distributed file
systems or distributed shared memory. In general, this memory is NOT
anonymous. As such, it should not affect the performance of a
fork/exec/exit.

I suppose I confused the issue when I offered a supporting argument for
reverse mappings. It's not reverse mappings for anonymous pages I'm
advocating, but reverse mappings for mapped file data.