Re: noexec-flag does not work in Linux 2.4.10-pre10

From: Peter Bornemann (eduard.epi@t-online.de)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 18:24:06 EST

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> Are you sure this is actually a problem? Can you really exec these
> files, or is it just a matter of the flag? Some changes were made
> to mount flags by Al Viro. If you really want the flags gone, you
> should use a different umask (e.g. umask=111). The noexec flag
> means (for filesystems that actually have permissions) that _even if_
> the "x" bit is set, it cannot be executed.

OK copying /bin/ls to /dosc and executing it gives:

peter@eduard:~ > /dosc/ls
bash: /dosc/ls: Keine Berechtigung (no permission)

This is no problem for me but an inconvenience. If You see all
the x-flags You believe in the executability (is that right?), moreover,
as on my system executables are displayed in red colour, I feel my eyes
are deceived to some extent.
But, as umask=111 works, I will switch to that.

Thanks a lot!

Peter B