Re: "hde: timeout waiting for DMA": message gone, same behaviour

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 14:56:22 EST

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 03:49:03PM -0400, Greg Ward wrote:

> [Vojtech Pavlik]
> > Do you have the VIA IDE support enabled?
>
> [my response]
> > I have tried it both ways, but I think only with 2.4.2. I've only tried
> > one 2.4.9 build, and that was with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y. I've
> > just done another build with slightly different config settings
> > (suggestion from Mark Hahn), but haven't tried it yet. It still has
> > both the VIA and Promise (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y) support enabled.
> >
> > I'll report back when I've tried this kernel build.
>
> Still no luck with this slightly tweaked kernel config.
>
> Here are the relevant config variables ("grep '=y' .config", copy lines
> from CONFIG_IDE to CONFIG_SCSI):
>
> CONFIG_IDE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
> CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
> CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
> CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST=y
> CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
>
> Is there any point in upgrading to a kernel beyond 2.4.9? Or has the
> relevant code not been touched lately?

There were updates in 2.4.9-pre2 in the VIA driver, so it might be worth
trying. Also disabling CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO may work, but you'll get slow
performance. Afterwards, though, you can do hdparm -i /dev/hd* and cat
/proc/ide/via, which will tell us interesting information, which may
lead us further to solving the problem. Btw, what clock and multiplier
your CPU is?

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs