Re: Serial Ports

From: Ian D . Stewart (idstewart@compuvative.com)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 11:33:24 EST

On 2001.09.06 16:27:06 -0400 Stephen Torri wrote:

> I have noticed that serial ports change IRQ to either 3 or 4. There is no
> reason for this behavior. I have created a perl script to create a log
> containing the irqs assigned and their ioports. Is there anything else I
> could log that might unmask the problem?
>
> So far if the serials are assigned to IRQ 4 then the sync with the palm
> pilot doesn't work (/dev/pilot = /dev/ttyS0). If its IRQ 3 then it does.

As I understand it, /dev/ttyS0-3 are set to industry standard values on
startup (they are not probed). The values can be changed using the
command-line utility setserial. You can specify non-standard values in an
rc.serial conf file which will be read on startup.

The setserial manpage covers this is some detail.

HTH,
Ian

--
"God may have mercy.  We will not."