Re: report: success with agp_try_unsupported=1

From: Robert Love (rml@ufl.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 16:50:38 EST

On Mon, 2001-09-24 at 17:40, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i just built a system:
>
> 1.3GHz amd athlon
> epox 8kha ddr motherboard
> via kt266 (vt8366, vt8233)
> 768MB ddr ram
> radeon QD with 64MB video buffer, tvio
>
> i enabled agpgart, and got the message:
>

> Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
> agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 690M
> agpgart: Unsupported Via chipset (device id: 3099), you might want to try
> agp_try_unsupported=1.
> agpgart: no supported devices found.
> [drm] Initialized radeon 1.1.1 20010405 on minor 0

I will write a patch for this to add VIA KT266 support (so you don't
need to do the agp_try_unsupported=1 mess, it will be supported
natively). Although, the patch is going to be against 2.4.10.

I'll send it out in a sec, start downloading 2.4.10 :)

> 2. i recompiled the kernel but built agpgart in rather than loading it as a
> module. i then inserted the following line into /etc/lilo.conf:
>
> append="agp_try_unsupported=1"
>
> but it didn't seem to work. someone told me that to get agp work to work
> for my system, agpgart MUST be built as a module and you MUST pass it the
> argument agp_try_unsupported=1. in other words, you can't build it into

Yes, I believe this is a bug. Maybe I should take a look at it...

agpgart doesn't read the command line, or not correctly, or something.

--
Robert M. Love
rml at ufl.edu
rml at tech9.net