Re: 2.4.9-ac15 painfully sluggish

From: Pau Aliagas (linux4u@wanadoo.es)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 11:25:18 EST

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Could you give me some info on how much memory is being
> used by the various caches (first lines of top) and maybe
> a few lines of vmstat output ?

Only setiathome was really running whilst the rest of processes just where
in D state; the IDE disk never seemed to stop.

Once I stopped the CPU hog (that's seti) kapm-idled ained the CPU, but
again the swap was not being used but for a few Kb (about 2M maximum).

The problem seems to be related in pages not moved to swap but being
discarded somehow and reread later on.... just a guess.

If you need any debugging just tell me what and I'll give it a try.

Pau