Re: Do not apply: code for NSC8739x LPC Super I/O chipsets

From: Gunther Mayer (Gunther.Mayer@t-online.de)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 11:37:52 EST

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've attached a patch for NSC8739x LPC Super I/O chipsets to
> enable and configure the parallel port. It would be nice to include this
> code to the official linux kernel tree. Thank you.
>
> Jaroslav

Do not apply, there are better much solutions already:

1)
  This chip and much more is already handled (usermode)by:
  http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/lssuperio-0.63.tar.gz

2)
  PNPBIOS is superior at detecting your parallel port !
  I asked the parport maintainer to remove superio from the kernel
  when PNPBIOS makes it into the kernel.

  PNPBIOS is not only a lifesaver on certain laptops (hanging otherwise)
  but too on parallel port configuration which is currently a curse.

  Drawback: Alan knows machines with bugs in their pnpbioses.

-
Gunther