Re[07]: Linux Kernel 2.2.20-pre10 Initial Impressions

From: John L. Males (jlmales@softhome.net)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 23:43:59 EST

Mike,

Thanks for your reply to my posting of test results. I guess in the
future I had better keep placing at the start of my eMail note I am
not on the kernel mailing list. therefore be appreciated if any
reply also copies me in as well.

Ok, you make a good point in your suggestion re:

You will probably see dns requests going out. You should check to
make sure that you are not blocking incomming udp ports (1024-5000
for bind, not sure about resolver...) as that would lengthen the
response time considerably if only a few are open, and completely
stop you if all are blocked.

Although I would not of thought of that specifically, I did do a test
where I had no firewall or filtering started or in place previously.
Yes, not how one should connect to the internet these days, but just
done for the purposes of the test and had a limited time window it
was done in. So give that type of test, I really be interested in
your thoughts on how this point could be a factor. I am not saying
it cannot be, as I really do not have enough knowledge in this area
to know. The purpose of the test was to determine if either IPChains
or IPTables/Netfilter had any relationship to the delay. Based on
the results I would think not, but again just my extremely limited
knowledge of the details of IP/TCP/UDP/DNS and kernel matters.

I will try the "tcpdump -qni ppp0" suggestion you made and see if it
help shed some light on the matter. If the information is beyond my
understanding I will post it so you can look at it and offer your
analysis of the tcpdump information.

My schedule is a bit tight this week, so I may not get to the test
until the weekend if I do not have to work the weekend. Failing that
I will try later in the week once my current assignment is complete,
or a week this weekend if the assignment I am on gets extended again
for a few days/week.

Again Mike thanks kindly for taking the time to reply and your
thoughts and observations. You have given me a few more things to
chew on in my thoughts. I will post any additional thoughts, tests
results, aor the solution if I determine it on my own.

Regards,

John L. Males
Willowdale, Ontario
Canada