RE: CPU frequency shifting "problems"

From: Grover, Andrew (andrew.grover@intel.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 20:24:56 EST

APM is a lost cause, but the correct solution for ACPI systems is to use the
PM timer. This totally obviates the need to really care about the CPU's
effective frequency at all. Even if you knew all the details of SpeedStep
(and I've seen the same MS doc you have Alan and was surprised at its
detail) you'd still be hosed if the CPU throttles...you'd be hosed in a
*good* way because at least any delays would be longer (not shorter) than
expected but your times would be off nonetheless.

Regards -- Andy