Re: 2 GB file limitation

From: safemode (safemode@speakeasy.net)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 03:59:49 EST

On Sunday 30 September 2001 04:23, Gábor Lénárt wrote:

> > > I think you can get >2GB support if you've Gcc 3.0. Even with the
> > > latest

It's already been posted that the compiler used isn't the issue. You dont
have to recompile libc with gcc 3.x to get large file support, you just
enable the non-standard option and compile libc.

> > ???
> > I am using it and I am using gcc 2.95.3 for normal things,
> > and to compiled my kernel and my libc, because gcc
> > 3.0.1 produces slower binaries on my Athlons (yes, with athlon
> > optimizzations turned on), at less for my programs, and it is better to
> > avoid it for glibc compilation because of back compatibility issues.
>
> Yes, gcc3 is (well at least NOW) a piece of shit. It produces BIGGER and
> SLOWER binaries ... Checked on: Athlon, AMD K6-2.
> With the same gcc command line ...

gcc 3.0.2 produces lame binaries that are 45 seconds faster encoding
74minutes of audio than the gcc 2.95.4 binaries with the same cflags.
gcc 2.95.4 produces a binary of 39432 bytes when gcc 3.0.2 with the same
flags on the same source produces a binary of 37452 bytes. I then tested it
with lame. gcc 2.95.4 produced a binary of 245664 bytes and 3.0.2 produced
one of 238016 bytes. Same exact cflags and settings.
So basically my testing absolutely contradicts your statement. So who is
right?

gcc performance all depends on the code being used, no matter what version
and both completely on the CFLAGS being used. Which is why compileable
benchmarks are so unreliable etc etc. So enough of the compiler trashing and
just use whatever makes you happy. Recompile the entire system with 3.x if
you want. The backwards incompatibility is not something new to 3.x, it's
something indicative to gcc throughout it's history.