Zombie Processes, No Child Process errors

From: Dope on Plaztic,,, (pip@suidrewt.org)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 10:21:52 EST

Hi,

I have been experiencing problems with my Linux box (Debian 2.2, SID,
pIII 500, 128mb) concerning 'zombie processes' and 'no child process'
errors.

Zombie: For example, i `cat` a file, and nothing happens, i ctrl+c
from it, and i look in `ps` output, i see [cat <defunct>] - this has
happend with gzip, tar, more, etc. I have no clue why this is happening
and to my knowledge i havent' done anything which would cause this.

No Child Process:
[1]
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot'
rm -f tools/build
Putting child 0x08074140 (clean) PID 745 on the chain.
Live child 0x08074140 (clean) PID 745
make[1]: *** wait: No child processes. Stop.
Live child 0x08074140 (clean) PID 745
make[1]: *** wait: No child processes. Stop.
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Reaping losing child 0x0808a928 PID 744
make: *** [archclean] Error 2
Removing child 0x0808a928 PID 744 from chain.
(root@mischief):/usr/src/linux#

As you can see, this makes it impossible to compile various applications,
including a new kernel :). That output is from `make` with a debug flag.

I have experience the same 'no child processes' errors with `tar` too. Again
I have not done anything to my knowledge which would cause this.

I have tried new ram chips, etc, to no avail. Also, on a clean kernel and
patched up(with grsecurity, no-exec stack etc).

PLEASE can you CC: me the replies to this, as i have not yet subscribed.
Thanks a lot,
pip
(Please forgive me if this is not a kernel based problem, i am exploring
all avenues :)