[HANG] Checking root filesystem and then...

From: Maurice Volaski (mvolaski@aecom.yu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 14:39:36 EST

Running on a Netfinity x340 box (single PIII, ServRAID card and
Adaptec 29160LP card, boot disk is ext2 and is attached to the
ServRAID card), a stock 2.4.10 kernel gets to the point of "Checking
root filesystem" and the system simply stops dead in its tracks.

It stops at the line initlog -c "fsck -T -a $fsckoptions /" If I
remove the "initlog", it still stops. If I remove the "fsck", it
stops at the next line (mount -n -o remount, rw /)!

I have systematically tried a number of different kernels and have
discovered that

2.4.10-pre5 works
2.4.10-pre6 hangs

2.4.9-ac7 works
2.4.9-ac8 hangs

How many others are seeing this behavior?

Does anyone recognize something that changed in these kernels that
could be responsible? The only thing I notice in common in the change
logs are references to gendisk. (I am not sure how that could be
responsible as the boot disk is a SCSI disk managed the ServRAID
driver.)

Does anyone have any idea how this could be further investigated?

--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@aecom.yu.edu Computing Support, Rose F. Kennedy Center Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/