Re: Huge console switching lags

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 13:56:11 EST

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 02:10:41PM -0400, Ricky Beam wrote:

    And what's the brilliant reason for this? And don't give any BS
    about it taking too long inside an interrupt context -- we're
    switching consoles not start netscrape.

Having console switching in interrupt context was horrible... I would
much rather have the 'odd' slightly delayed console switch than drop
stuff or have sound jitter every time I switch console (which sucks
badly).

Under even fairly heavy load here it's not a problem, what problems
does the new bahaviour create (sorry, a fork bomb is a silly
example). With a load-average of over 20 its still responsive.

  --cw