Re: Huge console switching lags

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@transvirtual.com)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 18:13:43 EST

> On x86 they'll probably make no difference at all, unless the old code
> is really really crap. Your bottleneck is the PCI bus. All you can do is
> avoid reads.

True. We have discussed the idea of placing the fonts into video memory
instead of system memory if the graphics card has room. At first I didn't
like the idea since handling scrolling would become more difficult. It can
be done tho with enough "tricks". I think it should be up to the driver
write where he/she can place the font image. This case drawimage becomes
copyarea except you grabbing off screen data. I have some thinking about
how to handle that.