mtu problem with masquerading+pppoe(adsl) setup

From: Frank Dekervel (Frank.dekervel@student.kuleuven.ac.Be)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 08:00:17 EST

 Hello, (i am sorry if this is the wrong place to ask)

 despite the frequent discussions concerning this topic on usenet, i failed
 to solve my problem:

 - i have a debian potatoe box that acts as a masquerading server for a
 heterogenous win2k/winnt/mac LAN. pppoe works fine, and so does
 masquerading ... almost

 - the kernel i installed is the latest 2.2 kernel (2.2.19)

 the problem:

 i can't access some sites from the masq clients, while i can access them
 from the masq server. (like www.vitrine.be)

 The problem seems to be widely known, and seems to be an MTU+no-fragment
 packets issue. and indeed:
 - the MTU on my LAN is 1500 bytes
 - the MTU on my ppp connection is 1492 bytes.

 on the archives, i found the following solutions:
 - raising the ppp MTU to 1500 bytes. it won't work. even if i specify 1500,
 the mtu is still 1492.
 - lowering the mtu of the LAN to 1492 bytes. thats not an option according
 to my boss.
 - upgrade to something newer than 2.2.14. i run 2.2.19 and i still have the
 problem.

 So my questions are:

 - are there other options ? i read some vague german things about msschamp
 or something like that, but i don't know if they are even related.

 - will an upgrade to linux 2.4 or the kernelspace pppoe driver fix my
 problem ? (i would like to keep my current setup, i don't know how
 difficult it is to upgrade a potatoe box to such a recent version ..)

 Some other observations:

 - win2k as masquerading server does not have the problem, but switching to
 win2k is not really an option since win2k seems to have severe problems
 with ftp connections.

 - the problem also occurs for some mail servers.

 Thanks in advance,

 Frank Dekervel

 --
 Frank Dekervel