Re: [POT] Which journalised filesystem ?

From: Matthias Andree (matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 12:53:53 EST

On Wed, 03 Oct 2001, Xavier Bestel wrote:

> le mer 03-10-2001 at 19:03 Matthias Andree a écrit :
> > On Wed, 03 Oct 2001, Dave Jones wrote:
> >
> > > Alan mentioned this was something to do with the IBM hard disk
> > > having strange write-cache properties that confuse ext3.
> >
> > hdparm -W0 /dev/hda is your friend.
>
> Unfortunately I think IDE drives don't honor this setting - write-cache
> is always on.

It's meant for IDE drives, and the write cache has been in the feature
register for ages. Just try it, you'll notice if it fails.

BTW, it works as expected on my DJNA, DPTA, DTLA drives, and I know you
can turn the cache of DARA drives off as well.

--
Matthias Andree

"Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/