Re: ReiserFS data corruption in very simple configuration

From: Pascal Schmidt (pleasure.and.pain@web.de)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 15:06:58 EST

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> ext3 with ordered data writes has performance nearly up to the level
> of the fast-and-loose writeback mode for most workloads, and still
> avoids ever exposing stale disk blocks after a crash.
What if the machine crashes with parts of the data blocks written to
disk, before the commit block gets submitted to the drive?

The journal will tell us that the write transaction hasn't finished, but
that doesn't mean that no data blocks made it to disk, right? We won't
expose stale disk blocks, right, but there is still a mix between new and
old file data in this situation. I assume e2fsck will warn about this?

--
Ciao, Pascal

-<[ pharao90@tzi.de, netmail 2:241/215.72, home http://cobol.cjb.net/) ]>-