Re: [POT] Linux SAN?

From: Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 20:46:32 EST

> This is fairly off-topic, but would you be willing to describe your
> SAN? I'm getting interested in Linux SAN solutions, and it sounds like
> you've successfully deployed one. If you don't have time, that's fine.

Not much to describe. It's quite straight forward. 3 servers connected to a
fibre channel hub, connected to a JBOD built using my own product:
        http://www.cinonic.com/

I'm not sharing file systems between host transparently. To do that requires
an FS like GFS (made by the same guys that handle linux LVM)

All hosts must mirror a single raidtab file for coherency, and you can't use
things like autoraid starting, as hosts will step on each others toes. (Use
md= at cmdline for booting raids) You also want to use devfs in order to keep
your sanity and access the many devices by actually bus/lun/id and not an
obsure changing letter.

If you're not familar with Fibre Channel, it's basically serial SCSI with
long cable lengths and 126ID's.

FC Drives and HBA's are dirt cheap on ebay right now...have fun and buy soem
FC2's : >

Dave

--
The time is now 22:19 (Totalitarian)  -  http://www.ccops.org/clock.html