Re: Security question: "Text file busy" overwriting executables but not shared libraries?

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 23:19:13 EST

On 3 Oct 2001, Eric W. Biederman quoted:

> > >/* The right way to map in the shared library files is MAP_COPY, which
> > > makes a virtual copy of the data at the time of the mmap call; this
> > > guarantees the mapped pages will be consistent even if the file is
> > > overwritten. Some losing VM systems like Linux's lack MAP_COPY. All we
> > > get is MAP_PRIVATE, which copies each page when it is modified; this
> > > means if the file is overwritten, we may at some point get some pages
> > > from the new version after starting with pages from the old version. */

IMO it needs a slight correction.

+ /* Unfortunately, that is not an option, since losing bloatware like GNU's
+ relies heavily on equally bloated shared libraries and use of MAP_COPY
+ would eat memory with no mercy. OTOH, implementing it might be a good
+ idea, since results would force people to switch to something less obese */